Someone asks:
I'm fourteen years old, and I'll be writing a book this summer, which I intend to publish at some point. Due to this, I've been on a lot of writing websites/blogs/forums lately doing research, and getting familiar with the profession. One of the things that surprised me is how hard it seems for people to ever get published, so now I'm concerned:

Since it's so hard for seasoned authors to get their books published, would it be harder (or even impossible) for me to get published?

I know Christopher Paolini got published, but that was on his parents own press, and it wasn't until later that someone found the finished book that they took an interest in it - plus, he's kind of a prodigy.
My Answer:

Yes, it's probably hard for us (I'm 15) to get published. I think we're pretty even with the older people, though. We just have to work HARDER and go above expectations. I think we have the same chance as anybody else out there trying to get published, if we wrote a VERY good book and queried correctly to the correct agents. A lot of it is luck. Plenty of agents missed out on good books, I believe Harry Potter was rejected a couple of times before someone was interested in it. Some people will tell us to wait until we have experience, but from my perspective, trying to get our writing published early IS experience. :)

There are stories of kids around our age getting published. Like an Australian author Steph Bowe, she was 15 when her book was going to get published. Also, S.E. Hinton, the author of The Outsiders, was only 16 when she wrote it. So, I think we have a pretty good chance, eh? :D

Good luck! Us young writers must encourage each other.

P.S. Thank you for doing your research! Many people on Y!A come here and just ask without really researching! You're on the right path.
 

Share this post:

Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

1 interesting comments:

Anonymous says :

The 33 6m project was funded by the UK government.
S, yes, and we did see some improvements at solar jar that location.
solar jar power mandates are very costly to
consumers throughout the 50 states, and we think there is.


Look at my webpage ... renewable portfolio standards

Post a Comment

What do you think?

 
Copyright 2010 Le Dernier Mot