I'm scared to let people read my writing?

Someone Asks:
I’m 13 years old and a very gifted writer, if I do say so myself :) I’ve just finished writing a novel and my mum, who is the owner of a big publishing company, wants to read it. However, I don’t like it when people read my writing – I feel that I’m going to be shot down or that they think it’s not very good. Plus, my story involves romance (not icky stuff, just teenage crushes) and I’m not sure how my mum will take it. I really need advice!

My Answer:
First of all - LUCKY! Your mother is the owner of a big publishing company! Some writers would KILL (well, maybe not that harsh) for a position like that. I admit, I don't like anyone reading my writing either, especially my parents. My advice is to tell you're mother before she reads your writing that you included some teenage crushes so she'll be ready and it will save yourself a lot of the embarassment. But you know, if you want to be a successful author, you'll have to get used to people reading your writing. If you don't show you're mother this, then you may miss a very special opportunity. Good luck!!
 

 

Share this post:

Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

0 interesting comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

 
Copyright 2010 Le Dernier Mot