Advice for young authors?

Someone asks:
I'm 14, and I hope to finish a book soon. But, I have a few questions... If i don't want my parents to read it, and I use a pen name, would I be able to get it published without them finding out, or would I have to wait until I'm 18? Also, and tips for the actual content? Such as character development? I know things like give them flaws, but I need to make sure they don't all end up the same or stereotypical descriptions. (Like, there's part of a love story involved and I don't want the girl to only care about him... but she's with him all the time, so he distracts her.) And if a story is graphic, can it still be published? (Sorry, I have a lot of questions.)
My Answer:

You can use a pen name, but your parents will have to find about your book eventually because you, a minor, can't sign with an agent or publisher without having a parent/guardian also sign. Besides, you will be receiving money for your book (if it does get published) and won't your parents wonder where you got that from?

Go to this website for your questions about character/plot stuff:
http://www.writing-world.com/index.shtml

If you're afraid if your characters are being Mary Sues or Gary Stus, you can take this quiz about them to see if they are: http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysu…

I don't know what you mean by graphic. If you mean graphic as in pictures, you can. If you mean graphic as in sexual/violent/etc, then you may have a bit of trouble with that, just don't go overboard.

Remember to focus on writing that great story FIRST before thinking about becoming published.

Good luck! Remember to research!

Additional: Go to this site for information on publishing:
http://www.nathanbransford.com/

Source(s):

Experience

Share this post:

Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

0 interesting comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

 
Copyright 2010 Le Dernier Mot