Someone asks:
how should i do it? and where can i get my book published at? i'm here in houston texas and i need to know where to get my book published of course i've been downtown hundreds of times but never seen one and i'm not moving anytime soo but how do i get it published and how much will it cost? my mom says i'm gifted with book writing and i'm brilliant with it. i've just written a book i'm 14 fixing to be 15 so what can i do??
My Answer:
I'm going to repost something I posted earlier to another 14 year old girl. But I will add some things at the end.

Hey, I'm 15. :) We aren't so far apart.
What I did when I was your age (which was last month...lol) was RESEARCH! A great beginner's website on the publishing process is Nathan Bransford's blog (he's a literary agent).
www.nathanbransford.com

He has an FAQ section about the publishing process you can check out.

The basics: The best way to get your book published is to get a literary agent. For that, you must write a query letter to them, if they like it, they'll ask for partials, and if they like those, then the whole book. Once they agree to represent you, both of you will have to go through A LOT of editing and revising. When your book is as polished as can be, your literary agent will try to find a publishing house that will be willing to publish it and for a good deal. You can do this without a literary agent and send it directly to an editor, but you're less likely to get published as they don't like unsolicited/unagented submissions. The rest goes from there, or at least that's how I understand it.

Good luck! :D Us young writers must encourage each other.


Additional: You can also do something called self-publishing which DOES cost you money. You can go to sites like createspace.com or lulu.com and self-publish books there yourself. Though be warned, nobody really likes reading self-published books because there was most likely no editor and the story sucks.
Also, your mother may say that, but if you don't mind me saying, parents/family/and friends are biased. I suggest you join the site critiquecircle.com to see what people REALLY think about your writing and ways to improve it.

OK, now I'm finished. :)
Cheers.

Share this post:

Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

0 interesting comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

 
Copyright 2010 Le Dernier Mot